Tuesday, January 19, 2010

FB Awards: Best Screenplays

Words! Words! I'm so sick of words!
I get words all day through; First from him, now from you!
Is that all you blighters can do?
Don't talk of stars burning above; If you're in love,
Show me!
Tell me no dreams filled with desire. If you're on fire,
Show me!

Sometimes an image is all you need. But movies don't start with an image (unless its a comic book franchise or maybe something in pitch form: think Pixar's UP and its house lifted by balloons) but with a screenplay. "Words words words...." I'm not really sick of words. I just like the song from My Fair Lady and "show, don't tell" definitely applies to the cinema.


Where the Wild Things Are, Inglourious Basterds, Fantastic Mr. Fox
and (500) Days of Summer are all nominees right here.

Writing screenplays must be a bizarre practice, as if building a sturdy enough skeleton that will one day be able to sprout the efficient internal organs and developed musculature of great filmmaking and contain the throbbing heart and stunning facial features of great actors. Here are my choices for Best Screenplay.
*

No comments:

Post a Comment